Observations of the natural


There are some things that I have noted of late and I will try to make a list (for lack of a more disrupt term) of them. Some are observations from scripture and some just from the chores of the day.
 
Fire loves company. What I mean by this is that a stack of twigs burn better if they are broken and pulled somewhat closely so one another. The heat from the one burning twig helps the other to maintain its warmth needed to burn. If it's all alone it doesn't fair as well. It will flair up and burn and usually die out. However a cluster of burning twigs will set a blaze to the rest of the wood pile. 

Second and in contrast the larger fire wood loves air. If they are nested so close that the embers of the kindling can fall and block the air flow between them they may keep burning but not nearly as bright and hot as if the spacing is maintained. But close proximity is still required to maintain a good burn. 

To the first I like to think of the regular gathering of the church. How important, effective and essential it is for us to gather with our brothers in Christ and to let the edification of our flame warm our brethren, exhorting and encouraging them in the faith. 

To the second I have thoughts of an application but am not prepared to put them to "paper" yet. 

As a rabbit trail I love words. It may seem strange for someone that is not a first rate speller but words are my jam. Lol. Not the breakdown of words though. I could care less if it's in the present indicative with a side of blablabla. Or if the imperative is getting all soggy from the futures passive aggressiveness. Yea I totally made that up. But I love words. I love to see new words and more than that I love to see and learn their definitions. I however do not love or appreciate the use of jargon for the sake of jargon. Just say selfish jerk if that's what you mean not narcissist. I'm not impressed. 
Back to afore mentioned rabbit trail. 

Definition of barbican

:an outer defensive work; especially  :a tower at a gate or bridge
How cool is that. Now I will never tell you to hail me at the barbican when you come to my castle but it's just interesting to dig up old words and have a gander at them every now and again. 
The last and noted observations is from scripture. Proverbs tells us "in the multitude of word there wanteth not sin". In reading this morning I came to the place where Jesus was invited to dine with the Pharisees. They first noted that he didn't wash before dinner. He made a few counter observations about them and thus began the exchange.  He went from the Pharisee to the lawyers in the group. It is at this point they pull a trick that must have been something that they had used before successfully. 
Luke 11:53 And as he said these things unto them, the scribes and the Pharisees began to urge him vehemently, and to provoke him to speak of many things: Laying wait for him, and seeking to catch something out of his mouth, that they might accuse him. 
Wow. It's no wonder he called them vipers. 
Final observation is from the same verse in proverbs. Proverbs 10:19b "but he that refraineth his lips is wise."  Sometimes we need to speak the truth in love and other times we just need to shut up and be wise. 

Comments